Yapton and Ford

The rural village of Yapton lies south of the A27 along the B2233 road from Barnham to Clymping. There is a mixture of housing within the village ranging from older Victorian cottages to newer homes. A larger estate was built in the 80’s on The Peregrines at Ford with starter flats, family houses and smaller bungalows. Yapton has two Conservation Areas and is surrounded by agricultural land and many parts of the village enjoy views to the South Downs only a few miles to the north. Less than five miles to the south are the beaches at Clymping and Middleton on Sea.

The older part of Yapton originally built up around the area of St Mary’s Church along Church Road and Church Lane and there are several listed properties in this area interspersed with a few groups of newer houses and bungalows.

It was in 1825 when a Norfolk man, John Sparks came to the area and created new employment and changes to the village. He had a successful business building steam driven machinery and the site of the Co-op was originally the repair shop and servicing area. Over time he built several workshops, a foundry (hence the name Foundry Road), a forge. carpenters shop and sail makers for the canvas awnings. The workers were housed in the cottages at Victoria Villas, Holkham Cottages and Medway Cottages. Discovering brick clay in the area Sparks set about producing bricks, land was acquired and more houses built.

In 1823 the Arundel to Portsmouth Canal passed through the village but after just 39 years this was derelict but signs still remain along Canal Road and The Pines. It is reported that the cottage now occupied by Hobdens was once the lock keepers home and the keeper provided board and lodging to the boatmen to save them from drowning when returning late at night drunk to their boats from The Shoulder of Mutton and Cucumbers.

Yapton boasts a comprehensive range of shops from a good sized Co-op and Post Office, butchers, hairdressers, fish and chip shop at Sparks Corner by the mini roundabout. Along the Bilsham Road is another grocers and nursery. There are a few light engineering works producing double glazed windows, printing and an Aladdin’s cave of a second hand and new tool shop. Yapton also has taxi companies, a flooring shop, health centre and several pubs. A mobile Library van stops on a regular basis at the Village Hall.

Yapton CE Primary School was founded in 1864 and has recently received the Bishop’s Award of Excellence, the DFEE School Achievement Award.

A key recreational feature of Yapton is the King George V Playing Field and the Village Hall where several clubs and meetings take place including W.I., stoolball club, football, short mat bowls, Weight Watchers, aerobics, badminton, history club, cottage gardeners society and many more.


Directions and Google street view to and from Westergate to the Hobdens Estate Agents, Barnham Office:

 


View Larger Map

 

More detailed descriptions of the other three key parts of the area in which Hobdens operates can be viewed by clicking any of the following: Aldingbourne & Westergate, Barnham, Eastergate.

For a more general overview click The Area in which Hobdens operates.